- Puerto Rico
- 1 of 17
Peter is based in Taxand South Africa where he is a director and joint-head of tax at ENSafrica. Peter is also a key member of the Sub-Saharan coordination team for Taxand Africa - our pan- African Tax advisory service. In particular, he advises South African corporates and financial institutions on their domestic tax issues in relation to, amongst others, group re-organisations, financing and mergers and acquisitions.
Peter provides advice to South African multi-nationals in respect of the South African tax consequences arising from their offshore investments. The scope of advice includes profit extraction mechanisms, controlled foreign company planning and transfer pricing advice. In addition, he advises multi-nationals investing into South Africa in respect of appropriate investment strategies.
He has acted for South African and foreign corporates, South African and foreign banks and South African financial institutions (such as insurance companies). He also provides advice to high net worth individuals in respect of their investments, in particular the tax consequences of South African and offshore trusts.
Peter’s experience also includes advising on exchange control issues in respect of both investments into and out of South Africa.
He jointly leads the firm’s tax department with Bernard du Plessis. He is an editor of The Taxpayer including Meyorowitz on Income Tax. He has co-authored Silke on International Tax, and has co-authored Broomberg’s Tax Strategy. He has held lectures on tax at the University of Cape Town, the University of Stellenbosch and the University of the Witwatersrand.
Peter is recognised as a leading lawyer by the following reputable rating agencies and their publications:
- Chambers and Partners Global Guide 2017, 2016, 2015 – Tax (South Africa)
- The Legal 500 EMEA 2017, 2016, 2015 – Tax (South Africa)
- Who’s Who Legal 2016, 2015 – Corporate Tax: Advisory (South Africa)
- Best Lawyers® 2017, 2016, 2015 – Tax law (South Africa)
- Tax Directors Handbook TDH250 2016– Tax (South Africa)
- BA (Rhodes University)
- LLB (cum laude) (Rhodes University)
- LLM (Cambridge University, UK)
- HDip Tax (University of Cape Town)
- Admitted as an attorney and conveyancer of the High Court of South Africa
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales